Based on the Oscar-winning hit movie, Priscilla Queen of the Desert is the heart-warming, uplifting story of three drag artists who hop aboard a battered old bus named Priscilla, searching for love and friendship. They end up on a journey of self-discovery and the road trip of a lifetime.
This wildly fresh and funny musical features a hit parade of dance-floor favourites including: Don’t Leave Me This Way, I Will Survive, Finally, I Love The Nightlife, Go West, Hot Stuff, Colour My World and Shake Your Groove Thing.
With a dazzling array of over 500 outrageous costumes, 200 extraordinary headdresses, 23 tonnes of scenery, and a 10 metre long customised bus weighing six tonnes as its sparkling centrepiece, Priscilla is a must-see spectacular!
Priscilla Queen of the Desert is a worldwide award winner:
- An Olivier award
- 5 Australian Greenroom awards
- 6 Toronto Broadway World awards for Best Direction, Choreography, Costumes, Lighting, Set and Sound
- A Toronto Theatre Critics award
- 2 Dora Mavor Moore awards
- 4 DAPA awards for Best Musical, Costumes, Make-Up and Sound
- 5 Italian Musical Awards for Best Actor, Best Musical, Best Director, Best Costumes and Best Scenery
- 7 A.C.E Awards including Best Musical & Best Production
- 12 Hugo Musical Theatre Awards including Best Musical
- 6 Carlos Paz Awards including Best Musical
- 4 Spanish Musical Theatre Awards including Best Musical, Best Hair & Make Up, Best Costume Design and Best Male Newcomer
- 5 Spanish BroadwayWorld Awards including Best Musical, Best Costumes, Best Musical Direction, Best Actor & Best Sound
- Whatsonstage.com award for “Best New Musical”
Sign-language interpreted performance: Wednesday 2 November, 7.30pm
Introductory notes for attendees in sign language at 6.30pm in The Civic Foyer
During the performance two trained interpreters, situated on the left hand side of the stage will interpret the script using New Zealand Sign Language.
There are seats reserved for this unique performance that give a clear view of the stage and the interpreter. Tickets for these seats are $65.
Audio Described Performance: Thursday 27 October, 7.30pm
A FREE touch tour will also be held from 5.45 - 6.20pm before the show where patrons can walk through the set, touch set pieces, feel costumes, handle key props and meet a few of the company members.
Tickets and headsets can be collected from The Civic foyer (level 1, opposite the bar on the Door B side) from 5.30pm until the show.
This performance gives blind or visually impaired patrons the opportunity to attend Priscilla Queen of the Desert with trained audio describers Nicola Owen and Edward Newborn broadcasting live commentary during the show which patrons will hear through an earpiece.
There are seats reserved for Audio Described patrons. Tickets for these seats are $65 and companion tickets are $32.50. Guide dogs are welcome.
*Please check the ‘Tickets & Times’ tab for more information.