INSIDE AUCKLAND LIVE
Find out more about life inside Auckland Live with regular nuggets of information and fun facts about our people, venues, shows, and live arts and entertainment.
12 July, 2018
How many elephants are there in The Civic?
The Festival’s been calling The Civic home every year since 2000.
Did you know…
- The Civic is New Zealand’s original ‘picture palace’, built in 1929.
- In its early days, there was a 10-minute show before the movie, performed by a troupe of ballet dancers and a 30-piece orchestra.
- The Rolling Stones performed a nine-song set including ‘(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction’ in 1966.
- More than 400 elephants decorate the venue’s foyers.
- In 2018, The Civic was named Best Large Venue at the NZ Music Managers Awards.