10 whānau-friendly things to do in Tāmaki Makaurau this winter
Published: Thursday 8 June, 2023.
It’s easy-peasy to keep the tamariki (and yourself) entertained this Matariki season and beyond, with super-duper activities and events packed with adventure and full whānau fun.
Here are our top 10 things to do in Tāmaki Makaurau:
- Watch the game, play the game with Game Grumps’ interactive gaming show. Guaranteed to be a barrel of laughs, it’s sure to be a winner for families.
- What happens when animals, orchestra and comedy collide? Find out by heading to Carnival of the Animals and watch ‘dynamotion-dactors’ (dancing actors) to find out!
- In a world… not so far, far, away is the Auckland Concert Orchestra performing famous Blockbuster Film Music. Featuring classics from Star Wars, Schindler’s List, Pirates of the Caribbean and more, get your whānau’s toes tapping.
- Hot potato, hot potato! The Wiggles are in town with their famous friends: Captain Feathersword, Dorothy the Dinosaur, Wags the Dog, Henry the Octopus (and more!) in a show not to be missed.
- Step out of the cold and into contemporary Ireland through Celtica - A New Era of Irish Heritage, bringing a new life to Irish dance.
- Journey through a world of theatrical and architectural wonder and discover the secrets of The Civic.
- Family favourite Toy Story like you’ve never heard it before: the Auckland Philharmonic Orchestra play Randy Newman’s musical score live in sync with the movie that brought toys to life.
- A classic musical like no other, full of magical dance, music and feline finesse from National Youth Theatre… purr-fect for all!
- Lace up and get your skates on for the return of the Aotea Square Ice Rink. Fun for all ages and a great way to get active together, ice skating is a perfect winter activity.
- Movie Night at the Aotea Centre! With the soundtrack performed live in sync with the film, cult classic Hocus Pocus will be gracing our Kiri Te Kanawa Theatre thanks to the Auckland Philharmonia Orchestra.
We’ve got all the kids covered, little and big; lock in the fun and book your tickets now.